Monday, May 17, 2010

Lab Two: Communication Tools

ONLINE PHONE SYSTEMS-

Online phone systems enable the user to make "phone" calls to anyone online for free or for a minimal fee. Skype enables its user to make calls for free when both parties are registered Skype users. It also allows a Skype user to call for a fee when calling other lines. Skype provides video conferencing between users.

Jabber allows you to talk to anyone anywhere in the world free of charge if they are also a registered user. Jabber is an IM open-source client that uses an Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP). It is designed for limited text. If you try to use lengthy texting you would probably be charged a fee for excessive use.

Google Talk is another downloadable application by Google that allows the user to IM, send files, chat with contacts on Gmail, or conference call anywhere to anyone that is also registered with Google Talk for free.

I personally prefer Skype. It is the only one that I have used. I usually use what my technically savvy children suggest. I downloaded it so I could talk to my youngest daughter who is in Seattle, Washington. I can video conference her on my computer and see how she is doing. Being able to see the person you are talking to enables you to see facial expressions. The conversation has a lot more interaction between the callers.

BLOGS-

Blogger is a free blog site hosted by Google, and is one of most commonly used blogs; it is user-friendly and linking to others is easy. You can also delete comments, which can help to prevent ads.

Word Press is the number one blog spot. There are no ads allowed so you can design your page just to your liking.

Vox is a blog site that allows you to share pictures, video and text with friends and family.

I chose Blogger. It is user friendly and is connected to my version of 2007 Word so I can post directly from Word to my blog. I want to create a blog that I can use after this class is over to connect with people on a professional basis to stay connected with what is current in the market and learn from those whose experiences can help me succeed in my world.

PODCASTS-

http://www.accenture.com/Global/High_Performance_Business/High_Performance_Business_Podcast_Series/default.htm?c=ad_t08usglbpsgs_0508&n=g_Generic_-_HPB_Podcast/a_0_k/New_business_podcasts&s_kwcid=TC|7188|business%20podcasts||S|b|3171735737 This is a website for Accenture and provides business podcasts that relate to global strategy, organizational structure, and competitive advantage just to mention a few examples. I have downloaded this to my yahoo site and intend to download some of these to my I-Pod. I only wish I would have know about these last semester. I would have definitely listened to them.

http://www.openculture.com/2007/02/business_school.html This is a website that provides podcasts for business from the various MBA programs at different universities; also for iTunes.


 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24057159 This is the MSNBC site that provides podcasts on current affairs. All three of these sites are free to download.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment