Sunday, May 16, 2010

Social Networking-Lab One

Facebook is a social network site that allows individuals to connect with friends, family, and old schoolmates. Facebook can also be used to promote businesses. I just developed my Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000991916434&v=info&ref=profile, approximately one month ago and it seems that it has already gotten out of control. It is like a giant spider that weaves its web, and I being the fly am hooked on the excitement of the daily chat of knowing what everyone is thinking and doing. I began playing the games, and to accomplish any levels you must be on it constantly. I began to ignore other necessary day to day activities and before I knew it my day was half over because I spent all my time catching up on conversations and queries from family and friends. It's not like we don't call each other, but this has become the next level of contact. It is much more exciting, you get to see all the latest pictures of everyone. Having conversations with more than just one person can keep the entertainment going for all day.

I have since class begun "cleaning up" my site to present a more professional version of myself. I always had the presence of mind to keep it clean, but I did not think that playing the games would present the wrong image to others about me, and could inhibit my chances of getting a great job. I then created a LinkedIn account http://www.linkedin.com/home?trk=hb_tab_home, it still needs some work done before it is complete; most of my information is on a jump drive at home. I am hoping LinkedIn will provide the networking connections that I need to obtain job placement. This was all beyond my scope of experience and I believe that all college students (not just graduate) should be required to have all of these sites active and in place and working when they graduate. This is the experience that is needed to hit the ground running when interviewing. Networking experience is necessary to communicate in the business world today, having those individuals in place to make that transition from graduate student to professional a smooth one.

There are many sites; XING-for business professionals is another site that is available to join. XING is a networking site for the business professional to post resumes for jobs, or as an employer to search for employees. These are sites that provide networking possibilities for students to make connections for potential jobs when they begin looking for employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment